As discussed in a recent New York Time's article (Giving Women the Access Code) Dr. Klawe demonstrates through her role as President of Harvey Mudd College several leadership qualities and accomplishments of note.
- During her 5+ year tenure she's achieved near gender parity between the percentage of women on campus (close to 50%) to women graduating with degrees in computer science (40%). This is a stark contrast to national trends--according to a report issued by the Computing Research Association roughly 12% of computer science graduates in 2010-2011 were female.
- She makes it a point to memorize the names of all the incoming freshman to Harvey Mudd College. She's also able to address most students she encounters on campus by their 1st name.
- She's a habitual recruiter for the college and it's paying off: Harvey Mudd College ("The Most Amazing School You've Never Heard Of") now accepts just 17% of applicants.
- She's one of 2 women on Microsoft's 10 member Board of Directors.
- She often wears jeans to work. And rides a skateboard.
|Photo courtesy of The Mary Sue|
Through intelligence, perseverance, and vision, Dr. Klawe was able to overcome numerous obstacles, as well as create an exceptional educational environment for others to thrive in. Her story is a breath of fresh air, one that leaders in any industry should take note of and emulate.