Pure magic, that's what.
I remember it like it was yesterday, except that it was this past Thursday. Lance sent out a tweet looking for help. I made a suggestion, a conversation started, and the next thing you knew we were making it happen.
Ladies and gentlemen, when it comes to social media, are you
- a little skeptical/anxious/fearful about it, but still think it might be worth diving into?
- wishing you had someone who could "show you the ropes" when it comes to blogging or using Twitter and other online mediums?
- interested in helping other HR practitioners be better at using it, both tactically as well as strategically?
- willing to provide some of your time, as well as a safe and creative environment, that will encourage the larger HR community to view social media as another business tool and not just as a risk?
If the answer is "Hell yeah!" then we may have something for you! What we want to do is create a social media mentorship program. Specifically, we want partner with HR professionals that are curious about blogging and other social media tools with those (like Ben and myself) that use and understand the value of them. We think it can be a great way to develop a participant's understanding of social media, its strengths and weaknesses, and how to use it effectively. It can also serve as a way to bridge the digital divide within our profession.
Social media is here to stay. The question for Human Resource professionals should be, "How can I best leverage it in order to support organizational goals?" We believe a mentorship program can provide a safe, creative, and rewarding way for practitioners to answer this question for themselves.
So if you're interested in being a part of this project here's how you can help:
- If you're an HR practitioner who uses social media and would like to be a mentor, let Ben or I know.
- If you would like to be mentored, or know someone who's interested, please contact Ben or myself.
- If you don't want to participate then help spread the word!
We believe a social media mentorship program will be a great resource for HR pros. I know that I wouldn't be the HR blogger and professional I am today if it wasn't for those that took the time to share their knowledge and ideas with me. They encouraged, challenged, and supported me throughout my journey in this space (18 months and counting). It was tough at times. This program may help others make less mistakes and find the path to success faster.
Please give us some time to get it off the ground. It's going to be a ongoing process, driven by the needs of those participating. Stay tuned for more information!